Arrogance produces blind spots. Think of the farmer here, he/she plants the seed, and in the not so distant future there is a crop. The only difference is blind spots are nearly invisible to the human being possessing arrogance.
This is one dangerous game.
Often those who are arrogant pride themselves in having much figured out. There’s no room for not being right. To be wrong is to be less than. Each interaction is fueled by this drive, not to mention the deep insecurities that plagues.
I am a former member of the above tribe. I endeavor everyday to see things as they really are, even if I can’t figure it all out. Some days are misses, and somedays I live out the truth. No matter the outcomes, I know I can’t allow the seed of arrogance to take root. If I don’t stay committed, the blind spots will look like this:
- I will believe that I have a right to justice. Not the justice from a civic point of view, but from a human relationship perspective
- I will believe that I am untouchable, even though rationally I know this can never be
- I will believe my possessions, accomplishments and titles are validations of my point of view
- I will believe people are a means to an end
- I will awaken one day and find I am truly alone, and no remedy will be near.
What are your blind spots?