A good friend told me this week that there is danger in what we see versus what we don’t see. Ten years ago I would have jumped out of my chair. My how ten years can change things. I believe firmly in the idea of the unseen.
"We are surrounded by opportunities, brilliantly masked as impossibilities."
If you want to grow your leadership, then you need to start dealing in the currency of the unseen. And yes, lot’s of what you encounter will look impossible. I think impossibilities are like a test to see if you’re really committed to what you do and say.
As a leader beware of these "seen" situations:
- I’m close to retirement, so I’ll let someone younger tackle this.
- We don’t have the funds to invest in something so untested.
- No one from my family has ever done or even attempted this.
- The marketplace is too crowded, you’ll get lost in the mass.
- Following your vision is OK, but you’ve got a family to take care of.
- The last person who attempted that failed.
- You’ve set the bar so high, how do you intend to reach it?
Now here’s a list of the unseen (names only)
- Nelson Mandela
- Thomas Edison
- Mother Theresa
- Steve Jobs
- Saint Paul
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Oprah Winfrey
- Billy Graham
- YOUR NAME GOES HERE